Skip to main content

Being looked in the eye


We've met half a dozen times
I know your name, I know you don't know mine
But I won't hold that against you
You come here every Friday night
I take your order and try to be polite
And hide what I've been going through

If you looked me right in the eye
Would you see the pain deep inside
Would you take the time to
Tell me what I need to hear
Tell me that I'm not forgotten
Show me there's a God
Who can be more than all I've ever wanted
'Cause right now I need a little hope
I need to know that I'm not alone
Maybe God is calling you tonight
To tell me something that might save my life
- Sidewalk Prophets, Save My Life
The older I get, the more thankful I am to have people in my life who can look me in the eye, and not be afraid of what they might see.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lists.

What have I been doing in the 3 months since my last update? Making lists and sometimes tearing them up. I have a list of "To do today" items, quite standard. It hasn't moved very much in the last 2 weeks. Mundane things: triage emails, edit policies, plan teaching sessions.  I have a list of "Deep work" items/projectettes that require focused attention: my Med Ed essay, my Moore essay, a research paper I'm trying to write with Dr M, Chinese+Mandarin revision, Tetun study, core skills in Medicine. I have a list of "Dashboard" items that represent the things I'm responsible for or have things to do with: Research Staff Health Education/Training Volunteers Email M&E (Monitoring & Evaluation) Translation Emails Communications and Social Media People (Relationships) That's just for work. I have a more general list that captures the bigger categories: Bible Journal Exercise Work People (Relationships) Home Medicine I used to have a list ...

Grateful for things and grateful to be able to feel gratitude.

We've had family caregiving responsibilities this season. I am grateful for Raj. I've started learning slowly about my role in BBEH, about language work, and about Tetun. I've learned some lovely new words. I was sad today and had people I could text about it. I am grateful for this. So, a couple quotes from this Colbert episode that struck me and which resonate with this season: "If he's good, I'm good." and this:

A story, recapped

Almost five years ago, Raj and I masked up, packed our surge protectors, and took a World Food Programme special flight into Dili, Timor-Leste. We started as volunteers in Maluk Timor, a local nonprofit established to strengthen Timor-Leste's primary care system by partnering with the Ministry of Health. We had the luxury of a long overlap with MT's founders Drs Jeremy and Bethany Beckett, and 8 months later we stepped up to the task of leading this organisation --I, at least, had not a clue as to the drama and delight that the next few years would hold. Now as I shift gears into a season of quieter work and language study, the memories of these years tumble over each other like pebbles down a waterfall, a jumble of laughter and tears and pride and regret. During my time, I’ve had the privilege of working alongside some of the most committed health professionals I’ve ever met, both in Timor-Leste's Ministry of Health and within my own organisation. Together with the Ministr...