Skip to main content

Day 16 in Timor Leste

R got the phone call that our swabs were confirmed negative for COVID19 halfway through a meeting about education. I muted the zoom call and struggled to focus on the discussion with one ear while straining to filter Tetun with the other.  After the zoom call, we gulped down dinner, put on walking clothes and scampered out for a 4km walk along the beach.

It has been an almost idyllic couple of weeks in quarantine. We would wake, have breakfast, study, do some remote work for MT, eat, and repeat. We'd watch Tetun TV. Raj would do pull ups on the balcony door frame. The scrawny calico we've named Jael (she likes milk) would appear at the balcony with polite (but assertive) miaows.
I took 5 classes in Tetun this week. Too early to say if I'm ready for conversation with people who are not language teachers. But I would end the lessons with my heart pounding and generally dance around the house for 5 minutes hooting with joy. (Language classes have this effect on me, which is extraordinary because I never felt like this after Chinese tuition. Context, context is everything)

That's it for now. The next post will be hopefully from our next (volunteer housing) accomodation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lists.

What have I been doing in the 3 months since my last update? Making lists and sometimes tearing them up. I have a list of "To do today" items, quite standard. It hasn't moved very much in the last 2 weeks. Mundane things: triage emails, edit policies, plan teaching sessions.  I have a list of "Deep work" items/projectettes that require focused attention: my Med Ed essay, my Moore essay, a research paper I'm trying to write with Dr M, Chinese+Mandarin revision, Tetun study, core skills in Medicine. I have a list of "Dashboard" items that represent the things I'm responsible for or have things to do with: Research Staff Health Education/Training Volunteers Email M&E (Monitoring & Evaluation) Translation Emails Communications and Social Media People (Relationships) That's just for work. I have a more general list that captures the bigger categories: Bible Journal Exercise Work People (Relationships) Home Medicine I used to have a list ...

Grateful for things and grateful to be able to feel gratitude.

We've had family caregiving responsibilities this season. I am grateful for Raj. I've started learning slowly about my role in BBEH, about language work, and about Tetun. I've learned some lovely new words. I was sad today and had people I could text about it. I am grateful for this. So, a couple quotes from this Colbert episode that struck me and which resonate with this season: "If he's good, I'm good." and this:

A story, recapped

Almost five years ago, Raj and I masked up, packed our surge protectors, and took a World Food Programme special flight into Dili, Timor-Leste. We started as volunteers in Maluk Timor, a local nonprofit established to strengthen Timor-Leste's primary care system by partnering with the Ministry of Health. We had the luxury of a long overlap with MT's founders Drs Jeremy and Bethany Beckett, and 8 months later we stepped up to the task of leading this organisation --I, at least, had not a clue as to the drama and delight that the next few years would hold. Now as I shift gears into a season of quieter work and language study, the memories of these years tumble over each other like pebbles down a waterfall, a jumble of laughter and tears and pride and regret. During my time, I’ve had the privilege of working alongside some of the most committed health professionals I’ve ever met, both in Timor-Leste's Ministry of Health and within my own organisation. Together with the Ministr...